Long-term and part-time roles for research and learning expertise in Somalia
Wasafiri is a global consultancy, incubator and institute helping leaders and organizations tackle some of the world’s most complex problems. From our offices in Kenya, UK and USA, we have a long-standing record of helping our clients achieve impact at scale on the systems related to conflict, poverty, food insecurity, and environmental sustainability. Together, we are helping create a more peaceful, equitable and sustainable world.
Since 2010, we’ve been working with governments, development actors and communities across East Africa to better understand the nature of complex challenges such as insecurity, extremism and weak governance. Our role has focussed on helping catalyse more effective, collective action, including through;
- Monitoring, analysis and reporting of events, programmes and policies.
- Identifying at-risk groups and networks of positive influence around them.
- Examining under-researched issues, such as the role of women, the private sector, or gangs in extremism.
- Facilitating the design of new initiatives designed to prevent and counter extremism
- Engaging with communities and government representatives to strengthen local capacities, strategies and plans
The skills and expertise you’ll bring
Wasafiri is actively pursuing a number of upcoming opportunities focused on stabilisation, governance and peace-building in Somalia funded through various donors. We are looking for candidates across a range of programmes and roles to put forward on proposals and, eventually, programmes, pending funding.
These will be demanding roles that come with high expectations. In particular, you’ll bring;
- Relevant sectoral or thematic experience: You will have years of experience working in some (or all) of the areas pertinent to the range of opportunities we are pursuing. These include:
- Security sector reform (including intimate knowledge of the security architecture in Somalia)
- Local governance and institutional strengthening (including federalism processes in Somalia)
- Public expenditure management (including public financial management and domestic resource mobilisation)
- Peace-building (with particular focus on the integration of women into peace and security processes)
- Climate change
- Strong technical skills and expertise: You will bring high quality expertise in some (or all) of the technical areas in which we work. These include research and learning, monitoring and evaluation, gender and conflict sensitivity/analysis, adaptive management/problem-driven iterative adaptation and policy formulation/advocacy.
- Experience working with vulnerable populations: You will be able to speak to your experience and approaches working with vulnerable or at-risk populations, including women, youth or other marginalised groups.
- Essential qualifications: You will have the following qualifications:
- At least 5 years’ experience in one or more of the above sectoral areas andtechnical skills
- Experience working in fragile or conflicted affected regions
- Relevant university qualifications
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Right to live and work in Somalia necessary for the Research Manager role(s)
- Desirable qualifications: The following will be regarded as strong assets in your application
- Somali language ability
- Previous work experience in Somalia
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
- Knowledge and Learning Director roles will be based in Nairobi (likely long-term positions) with potentially travel to Mogadishu up to 25%.
- The Research Manager roles will be based in Somalia (locations dependant on project and personal preference with regular in-country travel) and be either long-term or part time roles.
Technical/policy expert roles will be part-time and may work remotely or with travel to Nairobi or Mogadishu.
To apply for the roles please
- See the detailed Job Description for more information on the roles
- Include a CV that is not longer than 3 pages
- Include a Cover letter that summarises the following;
- The role(s) you are interested in (Knowledge and Learning Director, Research Manager, Technical/Policy Expert)
- Your motivation for applying to Wasafiri
- Your technical expertise and qualifications
- Your experience working on relevant sectors and issues
- 3 professional references
- Please note:
- We will not accept submissions without a CV and Cover letter
- We will not accept CV’s longer than 3 pages
- At this stage we do not require samples of your work or proof of qualifications
Closing date for applications
- Closing date for applications: 1st September
- Please submit your Cover Letter and CV to email@example.com